Sunday, 11 March 2012

Sunday Roundup 1

Well, Titmouse! has been going for a week. And what a week it’s been.

Before starting Titmouse!, my internet use had narrowed to a handful of sites. Now, largely as a result of my finally understanding the value of Twitter, I am becoming obsessed with surfing the web again.

This section – which I intend to make a regular feature of the blog - shows some of the things I have found useful, informative, amusing or thought-provoking during the past week.

Fear of Facebook? I keep my privacy settings high anyway, and maintain a healthy degree of work-life separation. However, I do not see why someone should be penalized for engaging in pursuits in their spare time that their employer or potential employer might not approve of – essentially, doing what people do to let off steam! Why should someone be compromised for not having their privacy settings at the highest level? This article raises interesting questions about whether an employer has any business poking their nose into employees’ extra-mural activities. Work places enough demands on people as it is.

How to cite a tweet in academic work. I remember being at university when the internet was just starting to take off and citing web addresses. I don’t think there was any standardisation back in the late ‘90s, though.

How to connect your blog to Twitter. It took me so long to figure this out. Eventually, stubbornness gave way to common sense and I tweeted for help. Within five minutes, Titmouse! was posting automatically to my Twitter account through Twitterfeed.

RETRONAUT is worth a post of its own. Probably several posts. I’m sure I’ll be writing about brilliant things I find on here quite a lot, for several years. My goodness, it’s an amazing site. If you have an addictive personality, don’t click on it! Walk away from the keyboard, now! Don’t follow my lead!

No comments:

Post a Comment